ownCloud 7 is out!

Posted by on Jul 23, 2014 in ownCloud, privacy | 14 Comments

ownCloud 7 We just published ownCloud 7!

This awesome release brings many new features. Among them, I’m most excited about the server to server sharing.

Server to server sharing is a first step in true federation of data with ownCloud: you can add a folder shared with you from another ownCloud instance into your own. Next step would of course be to also share things like user accounts and data like chat, contacts, calendar and more. These things come with their own challenges and we’re not there yet, but if you want to help work on it – join us for the ownCloud Contributor Conference in Berlin next month!

A close runner-up in terms of excitement for me are the improvements to ownCloud Documents – real-time document editing directly on your ownCloud! We have been updating this through the 6.0.x series so the only ‘unique’ ownCloud 7 feature is the support for transparently converting MS Word documents, but that is a feature that makes Documents many times more useful!

There are many more features, you can find more details on the ownCloud website. The official announcement blog post is here.

A big THANK YOU

This would not have been possible without the hard work of the ownCloud community, so a big thank-you goes out to everybody who contributed! We have a large team of almost 100 regular contributors, making ownCloud one of the largest Open Source projects and that makes me proud.

Of course we have a lot of work to do: revelations of companies and governments spying on people keep coming out and our work is crucial to protect our privacy for the future. If you want to help out with this important work, consider contributing to ownCloud. We can use help in many areas, not just coding. Translation, marketing and design are all important for the success of ownCloud!

The release of ownCloud 7 is not only the conclusion of a lot of hard work by the ownCloud community, but also a new beginning! Not only will we release updates to this release, fixing issues and adding translations, but the community now also starts to update the numerous ownCloud apps to ownCloud 7.

Expect more from us. Now, go, install ownCloud 7 and let me know what you think of it!

14 Comments

1. rafa
    23/07/2014

Server to server sharing is an incredibly powerfull feature! Many thanks for this great job you are doing with owncloud

2. Debbie
    23/07/2014

I absolutely love what you guys have done with this program. It’s just amazing!

3. Duane J
    23/07/2014

Congrats! This is a great step forward. I’ve been looking at ownCloud but haven’t made the jump yet, but this gives me a great excuse to try it :) I’ll probably try it on my odroid-U3.

4. Roman
    23/07/2014

Please make the client on android (at least) not to double copy the data and set syncronization of folders possible

5. Julian
    23/07/2014

Nice upgrade, thanks a lot for this stupendous work!!!

The usability is much better and the mail sending works now. I am happy.

6. Techload
    24/07/2014

I have been waiting for this final release for weeks. And this release really rocks!
    Congratulations to all members of the ownCloud community!

7. KSC
    24/07/2014

Extremely awesome! ownCloud is the way of the future. You guys rock!

8. Alexander Löhner
    24/07/2014

Great stuff!
    But my owncloud keeps saying: “ownCloud 6.0.4 ist verfügbar. Hole weitere Informationen zu Aktualisierungen ein.” after upgrading to 7.0

9. Let’s party! | Dragotin's Blog
    24/07/2014

[…] we released ownCloud 7. You might have read that somewhere on the internet – it was widely announced and broadly […]

10. Let’s party! | Bartle Doo Articles
    24/07/2014

[…] we released ownCloud 7. You might have read that somewhere on the internet – it was widely announced and broadly picked […]

11. David Jameson
    25/07/2014

Nice — so how do you upgrade from 6.x to 7.x on Fedora? Yum update didn’t find anything

12. Arthur Schiwon: In Kazan? Me too, join my ownCloud talk! | itux.info
    25/07/2014

[…] furthermore I am taking the other opportunity and will give an ownCloud talk (btw, did you hear, ownCloud 7 was released?) at the local hackerspace, FOSS Labs. Due to my lack of Russian I will stick to English, […]

13. Fri13
    09/08/2014

Any updates when OwnCloud will support SMB/NFS/SSH/SFTP?

Now forcing everything go through webclient or own client is limited. Having a widely used network protocols accessing files would be very welcomming as well. It would be easy to drop a NAS with OwnCloud to LAN and then give visitors a limited user accounts via those protocols directly to filesystem with correct username and passwords so they can easily write/read massive amounts of data without using OwnCloud own user interface.

The web- and native client user interfaces are nice when itself going to third party computers around the world, but even on road with on laptop/tablet it would be very nice to stream media without downloading them first or using only OwnCloud applications or web browser.