Today is the big day. The sale of the Open-PC starts. The first PC which is build by the free software community and not by a big company. Everybody can contribute. The Open-PC is using only free software and drivers.
The good news is that we are not starting with one or two but with three manufacturing partners and models. We are working together with ARLT and greeniX in Germany and ThinkPenguin in the US and we are looking for more partners in other countries.
So what is special about the Open-PC?
- Hardware and Software is selected by the Linux Community
- The PC is preconfigured and easy to use by everybody
- Telephone and Email support is included
- Only free software is used, including the drivers
- Only fully documented hardware is used
- There are different manufacturers who build and sell the Open-PCs
- A part of the price is a donation to KDE
- Everything, including the software, is developed in the open. Everybody can contribute.
Thanks to everybody who contributed to this project I’ m super thrilled to launch this new and innovative project today 18 month after we had this crazy idea during a KDE developer meeting that we might start our own completely free PC line. This project proofes that it is possible for a free software community to bring a PC to the market which designed by us and not by a huge corporation. I have the feeling that this is only the beginning.
For more information about the Open-PC and details about the available models visit the website Open-PC.com