Today the ownCloud community released ownCloud 4. This is an important milestone for us as a community, for the product and for our code base.
So what are the new features?
- File Encryption
- File Versioning
- Mounting of external Filesystems (experimental)
- TODOs App
- Drag & Drop File Uploading
- Shared Calendars
- Calendar categories
- Hugely improved contacts app including groups
- Improved WebDAV, CalDAV, CardDAV compatibility
- Movable Apps
- Improved External App
- Improved Sharing of Files
- Overall Performance Improvements
- System/User Exporting/Importing
- User/Groups support via LDAP/AD
- Viewer for ODF Files
- Improved Photo Gallery
- Improved installation of 3rd Party Apps
- Logging via syslog
- New public API for App developers
- Lots of bug fixes, smaller enhancements and UX improvements.
Isn´t this impressive for only 4 month of development?
Please check our nice feature page for more information.
This comes now only 4 month after the ownCloud 3 release early this year. We will switch back to a 3 month release cylce so you can expect ownCloud 5 at the end of August.
Even stronger KDE integration will be one of the focus areas of the next release. Currently we have the Desktop Sync Client, the Rekonq bookmark syncing, the OCS key value storage for all applications, desktop push notifications and more. Part of the next release will be deeper Dolphin integration, Akregator RSS feed syncing and KWallet integration for the Desktop Syncing Client. Looking forward to this cool Desktop/Cloud features.
Thanks to everybody who contributed and made this awesome release possible.
The core team, all the contributors, marketing people, designers, UX experts and of course all the testers and translators.
See the offical release announcement here and more information including the download on the homepage.
There are already packages for most distributions available on the Open Build Service.
I hope to see you all at our LinuxTag booth for hugs and chatting.