Today we release the first Alpha of the latest (ownCloud 6) Community Edition and I’m extremely excited by the latest features. ownCloud 6 is the fastest, best looking, easiest to use ownCloud yet. Oh, and it has a ton of cool, new features that the community can use to safely and privately sync and share files. We also spend a lot of energy on stabilizing and fixing bugs and we will keep on doing this in the future.
The brave at heart can take a look at the Alpha 1
now (warning, may kill your hamster). I’ve listed some of the top features below (more detail to come), and there may be a surprise or two added in the coming weeks.
A new era has begun at ownCloud, ownCloud 6 — thanks to all who helped virtually and in-person in Berlin
- Activity feed. See what is going on in your ownCloud
- Improved design. Less visual clutter and more space for better focus
- Performance. Improved performance across the board.
- Avatars. People can upload pictures of themselves that augment their interactions, so users are easily recognized by others.
- Previews. Thumbnails for filetypes are shown in the interface.
- Conflict handling. A new web conflict dialog if a file is uploaded that already exists.
- ownCloud App API. Easier development of 3rd party apps, easier access to core functions for app development.
- Share file notification. Send an email if sharing a file or folder.
- Example files for new users. Load new user’s with files, such as a tutorial on how to use ownCloud, which appears when they first log in.
- Sharing REST API. Control sharing from mobile apps and desktop clients
- App management. Improved management of 3rd party apps.
- Bug fixes. A ton of bugfixes went into this release
- Many smaller improvements
Thanks a lot to everyone in the community who contributed and made ownCloud possible. ownCloud is an open free software community project. Everyone who wants to contribute is welcome. So join us.